Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Making Refridgerator Pickles

I was given a lotta cucumbers this week so I decided to try to make my first batch of pickles. It was super easy (just what I needed for my first time), so I wanted to share the recipe with everyone out there
  1. Wash 3-4 quart jars out with boiling water to sterilize them
  2. Mix together in large bowl until sugar is dissolved( I used brown sugar since I was out of white)
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 3 cups vinegar( if mild then omit water and use 4 cups of vinegar)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp. tumeric
  • 1 1/4 tsp. celery seed( I used celery salt and just omitted 1 1/4 tsp of salt)
  • 1 1/4 tsp. mustard seed( I used ground mustard)
3.Skin the cukes and sliced them to 1/8-1/4" slices I had a little help:) 4. Get 3-4 medium sized onions and slice them up, then put them in the bottom of your jars 5. Put you cukes in until you can't fit anymore, then pour the vinegar mixture over them until they are completely covered. 6. Put your flats and rings on and screw down tight. Put in the fridge for 5 days before eating. These will keep for up to 10 months in the fridge. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment