Thursday, August 20, 2009

Homemade Crunchy Granola Bars

I have attempted to make granola about 12 times and everytime, it was just a toasted pile of oats. I thought "it can't possibly be that hard to make granola", and the truth is that it's not (once you find a good recipe:))I have found an excellenct recipe that works great and turns out better than I thought. I even added more goodies to it and that didn't effect it like the previous recipes I had tried. For all you granola lovers out there here it is: Here are the dry ingredients you will need( plus whatever else you want to add i.e. coconut, choco chips etc..)

Gather your utensils:
In large bowl mix together:
  • 2 cups oats
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ( I also sprinkled in some coarse ground wheat)
  • 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 cup flour (white or whole wheat, it's up to you)
  • 3/4 cup raisins (I just bought a bag of trail mix for 1 batch)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
If you use a bag of trail mix with all the nuts and fruit in it, you may want to grind it a little in the blender
Now put that aside and mix these ingredients together in a bowl:
  • 1/2 cup honey (or Karo syrup)
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 tsp. vanilla (I didn't put this in)
Now get your large bowl and make a well in the center to pour these ingredients
Mix with a spatula or, if you prefer, your hands:) until everything is moist. Line a cookie sheet or 9x13" pan( for thicker bars) with parchment paper and spread the granola out evenly to the edges, preheat the oven at 350* Bake at 350* for 30-35 mins, or until it's brown around the edges. Let cool for about 5 minutes then cut into bars, when the granola is still soft. You don't want to wait any longer than that or it may be too hard to cut. Let cool completely then put in air tight container. I like to crumble mine up and add it to cereal or yogurt. Makes a quick, healthy snack for the little ones too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment