Thursday, May 20, 2010

Home Remedies 101- Onion, Mustard and Garlic poultice




My little boy has had so many issues with his lungs as he was born with 2 collapsed lungs from having GBS (Group B Step) when he was born. We have had to get him antibiotics too many times to count. I was determined to put an end to this cycle, so when he got this round of respiratory problems like coughing and deep congestion, I was prepared(sorta).

I gave him some JC Tonic everyday before breakfast, some Immune booster  from the Bulk Herb Store that I had made into a glycerite throughout the day. I also had some honey ginger onion cough syrup that I had made for coughing fits. It all helped it to not be so severe, but it was not helping him to get rid of it. So I was going to buy the cough tea from the BHS in hopes that it would help. Then, I stumbled upon an old timey recipe for an onion garlic poultice, and was like OH GOODY GOODY!


I used a cheese grater and grated one whole onion, then pressed 2 cloves of garlic. I put this in a steamer and steamed it for about 2 minutes. I had lined the streamer with cheesecloth so that all the good stuff would stay in the cheesecloth. I removed it and dumped it into a bowl , then added 2T cider vinegar and 1/2 cup flour and about 1t dried mustard. I mixed this all together, then I spread it into a big rectangle in the cheesecloth and wrapped it up with the rest of the cheesecloth. I then made it a little hot by nuking it for about 25 seconds in the m-wave. I also had a rice bag that I made and heated it up for about 1 minute in the m-wave to keep the poultice warm on his chest for about 20-30 minutes.

 I put the poultice on his whole chest from the neck to the abdomen and put the rice bag on top. I waited until it was cool to the touch before I took it off and also checked to see if his chest was red( which is what you want to see) I did this last night right before bed and also first thing this morning.

 All I have to say is WOW! His coughing has basically stopped completely and he does not sound congested! (sigh of relief) It feels so good to be able to help your children with simple remedies that work! Praise God for giving us what we need to help our bodies fight off things naturally and safely.

This is my first real big step forward with home remedies and I will be trying more after the amazing results from this. The best thing about this is that what he received was all natural and had no side effects.  I feel quite empowered now to not ever use another over the counter cough syrup or cold medicine again! 




I hope that this will be helpful to some, let me know if any of you have used some similar home remedies and how they worked for you.

Blessings,

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it worked and for the directions how to do this. I have wanted to do this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really helped with the cough, even though we found out the reason that he was coughing was from allergies, not a cold. Even though, it still really helped, especially at night:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your site... great advice from the past shared with the future..love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete