Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Make your own body products-Homemade Homemaking part 2

I recently got my order from Azure, and made my own shampoo using this recipe-Make your own herbal shampoo.  I had stop using commercial shampoo for about 3 weeks when I made this, so my hair had been clean of all that extra gunk for a while.  I did a few things differently than the recipe; which is probably why I got the results that I did.  Instead of using rose buds, I used packaged tea that had some rose blossoms along with chamomile, lemon grass and mint.  I also used a handful of fresh mint and made the "tea" to add to the shampoo.  I  left out the jojoba oil, since I was using Dr.Bronner's tea tree soap which has jojoba in it, and I left out the essential oil too.  When I washed with it the first time, I was pretty disappointed.  It felt dry and brittle and also like there was a big glob of hair gel on some of my hair.  When it dried it was really yucky feeling and greasy, like I hadn't washed my hair in a few weeks.  I know that it is supposed to be different that using commercial shampoo, but it didn't do much of anything except put more stuff on my hair.  I will try it again sometime when I can make the recipe the way that it was supposed to be made. 

In the meantime though I will use what I was using before I made this shampoo.  This combination might sound a little strange to some of you, but I had been using this for three weeks , and it works really well.  My fellow sister and churchmate Joanne shared this with me after she received it from a friend.  It is a bar of unscented homemade soap that you scrub into your hair, then you rinse it with powdered ascorbic acid.  I know, sounds crazy huh!  But it really works!  We are almost out of the bar, so we will make some ourselves using this recipe-Homemade Borax Soap.

I've gathered a list of some sites that have more homemade recipes for body products such as;





If any of you are making and using your own homemade body products,  how are they working for you?  Please share in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment